The Campaign for Funding
Wheeler Library Renovations
Honoring the Past. Embracing the Future.
Wheeler Library occupies a unique place in North Stonington, serving as a critical community partner.
This campaign envisions Wheeler Library’s future. Repairing our aging infrastructure, providing accessibility for all, creating minimal climate impact and providing more functional spaces are all necessary to continue and expand our cultural, community and educational offerings.
Together we will ensure that Wheeler Library continues to serve future generations as an excellent library and community treasure, as it has for more than a century.
- The lack of a fully climate-controlled interior impedes both service and usage. Air circulation on all levels is in critical need of improved handling.
- Major infrastructure including mechanical systems, the elevator, boiler and current heating and cooling components are all in dire need of replacement due to age and lack of replacement parts.
- As the library is currently configured, space is not used to its fullest potential by any measure. Our community needs meeting space as well as private spaces for study or quiet conversation. There is a lack of planned space for gathering and socializing.
- Areas and parking for outdoor programming need to be improved to expand library services, sustain patron wellbeing, and attract new visitors.
- Advances in technology, as well as expanded educational and social roles met by the library, are limited by a facility which is now outdated.
- Accessibility: Provide a safe, accessible front entrance, new elevator and expanded and improved parking areas.
- Energy Efficiency: Update our HVAC system with a modern and efficient system to serve the library in every season and for many decades to come. The new HVAC system will provide for ventilated airflow, more efficient heating in the winter, and air conditioning in the warmer months.
- Gathering Spaces: Improve the layout of the library to make it a better functioning and more welcoming space with update technology.
- Provide private meeting rooms, comfortable and flexible seating, and a small cafe to make the library an attractive gathering place for our community.
- Outdoor Spaces: Professionally designed for multiple public outdoor purposes and town events for entire community.
- Historic Preservation: The trustees, library staff, and renovation committee are working with Henry Myerberg of HMA2 Architects to renovate the interior space while honoring and enhancing the original stunning architecture.
AT A GLANCE:
THE MAIN FLOOR
- Bright, open entrance with display shelves; Spacious private meeting room for groups, clubs or business meetings;
- Raised ceiling height to expose top of windows that are currently covered;
- Improved heating/AC and electrical systems taking the building off oil heat to more energy-efficient means.
THE GRAND SECOND FLOOR
- Critically needed air conditioning system; Bathroom and a small private meeting room; Upgraded energy-efficient HVAC systems for use year-round, while protecting our building and books and lowering the impact on our environment
- A large wall-mounted screen for educational programming as well as movie nights and other community entertainment;
- Additional seating configurations for reading, meetings, or working remotely;
- New ADA compliant elevator
- Teen space for gathering and study; Community cafe
- Multipurpose rooms, storage and staff space; Improved climate control systems
ENHANCED OUTDOOR SPACE
- Fully accessible entrance at the front of the building;
- Gathering space for townspeople within the village to read, picnic, relax and play; Additional parking at the front and rear of the building;
- Continued use of the library lawn for graduation and other traditional town events
HOW WILL WE PAY FOR IT?
The $1 Million Challenge Grant
In January of 2022, Wheeler Library received a construction grant from the Connecticut State Library Board for $1,000,000 for this renovation project. This grant was awarded because our project is important, realistic, and forward-thinking. We have an opportunity to realize these goals and the time is now to make the vision a reality.
IT'S TIME TO TAKE ACTION!
We Need to Raise $2.5 Million More
The rest of the funding will come from the Town of North Stonington, the library’s endowment, the generous support of private donors and businesses in our community, as well as a variety of government and foundation grants. There are many options for you to help with this campaign!
PROJECTED REVENUE SOURCES
IN TWO YEARS
- CT STATE GRANT
- TOWN OF NORTH STONINGTON
- LIBRARY ENDOWMENT
- OTHER FOUNDATION GRANTS
- BUSINESS AND INDIVIDUAL GIFTS
- EVENT FUNDRAISING
The Board of Trustees and library staff
are confident that
BUILDING COMMUNITY: THE CAMPAIGN for FUNDING WHEELER LIBRARY RENOVATIONS
will have a lasting impact on the residents of our town. Together we will create a library that meets the needs of everyone in our community.
YOU ARE INVITED TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY TAKING PART IN THE NEXT EXCITING STEP!
Your support will help transform the library and improve the lives of all who gather together in this remarkable community we call home. Please contact our fundraising team at: